Grandmother Blacklock's Victorian Scottish Shortbread

 I copied this recipe from an old recipe collection when I was a tween. I've used it for years.
This was the note at the bottom of the recipe: "Mrs. Dean's Personal note: This is Grandmother Blacklock's recipe, brought from Scotland in 1870." I assume Mrs. Dean was the woman who originally submitted the recipe to the collection.

Shortbread

1 c. butter, softened
3/4 c sugar
1 egg yolk (I've used 1 whole egg for years and it works perfectly)
2 1/4 c flour

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolk; beat until smooth. Add flour; stir until just blended. Knead lightly (I skip this step); smooth in 9x15 inch pan (I use a smallish cookie sheet with sides, lined with foil and sprayed lightly with spray oil). Prick with fork. Bake 1 hour in 325 degree oven. Cut while hot. (I bake it for only 25 minutes--an hour would be far too much if you have a thin layer in a cookie sheet like I usually do). 

Comments